This Guideline explain how, in practice, the requirements of the PMU Patent, the patent and the regulation are applied by the PMU Patent Center from the receipt of an application for Patent
The purpose of the Guidelines is to ensure that the application and the invention to which it relates meet the requirements of PMU Inventions, Patents and Licensing Policy, The prime task of the Patent center to support of protection of creative scholarly activities, innovation and discoveries of faculty, staff, and students.
This Guide outlines the provisions relevant to the filing of PMU patent applications, after the patent applicants fill the form via the internet, the Patent Center is reviewing the entered data and transferred all the documents to legal office then to examination committee, When the report is positive, the applicants will give accreditation and procedures for patent number.
The guide describes the PMU philosophy about engagements with the inventions, Patent and Licensing policy to engagements with scientific research and scholarship with in PMU, produce inventions and patents, and protect and explain the rights of the University and the inventor.
Saudi Patent Office. It is the body that granted patents in Saudi Arabia, in 1982, King Abdul-Aziz City for Science and Technology was notified of the Royal Decree approving the accession of Saudi Arabia to the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). Accordingly, patents has been assigned to KACST since intellectual property is essentially about patents and technology transfer and KACST is the scientific body qualified for this mission.
The first Law of Patents was issued by the Royal Decree No. (M / 38) dated 10/6/1409 H (18/1/1989 AD). The Law aimed to provide protection for inventions in Saudi Arabia, and it was modified in 19 / 7 / 1425 H (4/9/2004 AD).
The modified Law of Patents, Layout Designs of Integrated Circuits, Plant Varieties, and Industrial Designs were issued by the Royal Decree No. (M/27) dated 17/7/2004 and was published in the Official Gazette (Om Alqura) in 7/8/2004, and became effective as of 5/9/2004.
PMU’s research mission will be strongly focused on outreach to the industrial and private sector interests of the region. Research activities will be largely sponsored and funded through partnerships with the regional and national private sector. Primary emphasis will be given to contracted work to solve industry problems in both short and long term basis. The university, therefore, must develop a marketing strategy that communicates effectively to the business community how the PMU differentiates itself from other public and private academic institutions within the region in providing technological service and continuing education.
Intellectual property refers to creations of the mind: inventions; literary and artistic works; and symbols, names and images used in commerce. Intellectual property is divided into two categories: Industrial Property includes invention patents, trademarks, industrial designs and geographical indications.
The Inventions, Patents and Licensing policy is intended to encourage scientific research and scholarship within PMU, produce invention and patents, and protect and explain the rights of the university and the inventors.
One way to accomplish this will be through certification and training programs that provide accreditation based on international standards to local and regional industry. Such standards include ISO 9000 and QS 9000 quality standards for industry. Other accreditations and training will depend on the expertise and evolution of the engineering and technology staff working the in the Applied Research Division of DGSR.
The Applied Research Centers will develop partnerships with local and regional business and industry interests that are based on the linkages and networking developed in the region. Such partnerships will require strategic planning and will rely heavily on the advice provided by the external advisory committee. They will be heavily weighted toward the private sector of the region. These partnerships will have as basic tenets the following characteristics:
- Linkages based on mutual needs
- Strategic interests for both parties
- Opportunities for sustainable growth and development
PMU established a Patent Center under the Deanship of Research in support of protection of creative scholarly activities, innovation and discoveries of faculty, staff, and students, and others participating in PMU programs.
Patent center has responsibility for all matters related to Intellectual Property at PMU, this include obtaining and licensing results from Deanship of Research activities at PMU, as well as all copyrights for information resource , computer software.
All PMU faculty, staff, student employees must sign the PMU Patent and Copyright In addition, non-PMU employees who participate or intend to participate in research projects at PMU must also sign a Patent and Copyright Agreement. A variation of this agreement has been created for individuals with prior obligations regarding the disclosure and assignment of intellectual property. See PMU Patent and Copyright Agreement.
When you access the Saudi Patents Database online, you can do a preliminary search of patent information. You can do a search using keywords, subject and the name of the inventor, owner or applicant, the international patent classification and more.
The purpose of Disclosure Form: This is a statement of certain conditions and information concerning the property is actually known by PMU. The Patent Center may or may not have lived at the property and unless the potential purchaser is informed in writing, PMU Patent Center has no more information about the property than could be obtained by a careful inspection of the property by a potential purchaser. This form is required by PMU Patent Center.
You should not go public in any way with your invention before you file for a patent. This is because when you wait to go public, you prevent others from using your invention. For a patent must provide the following conditions:
- The invention must be a new and it is not available for public in written or verbal or any other form.
- The invention must be considered and t is not obvious or apparent to specialists in that area.
- Fill a patent application online form
- Copy of ID OR passport.
- submit a copy of the short description and full detailed description and protection components and drawing boards (if any)
- Agency to provide support to non-KSA residents
- transfer of ownership document if the applicant is not the inventor
- Payment for the application fee and expenses due examination.
Patents are protected for 20 years from the filling date
There are essentially five substantive requirements that must be satisfied before any invention can be patented. These requirements together are commonly referred to as the patentability requirements.
- Patentable Subject Matter,
- The Utility Requirement,
- The Novelty Requirement,
- Non- obvious
How your patent application is processed:
- Before you start you do a search of the patent literature to see what is already out there, then to do a proper search, you need to look through existing patents and pending patents
- Writing your application: write each section of the application and includes the attached related documents, drawings, Design, checklists and tips to get you started.
- Filing PMU online patent application form and make sure your application is complete.
- A priority date is essentially your first filling date In accordance with the conditions set by Saudi patent Office
- Completing your application for finishing your application you have to send all required forms and document.
- Keeping your application or patent alive, it can take quite a bit of time for the PMU Patent Center to process your application. While your application is pending, you will need to pay certain fees along the way.
- Requesting examination, the examination practice regarding patentable subject matter has been clarified in view of the PMU.
- Corresponding with the Patent Center, All Patent and Intellectual property should be transacted in writing. Regular non provisional utility PMU patent application online form in order attached all required documents and filing the fee.
- Receiving your patent, once the PMU Patent Center approves (allows) your patent, you will get a Notice of Allowance by mail or Phone.
- Appealing a refusal, if examination committee rejects your patent application, the Patent Center will send you a report called a “final action”.
Deanship of Research
Prince Mohammad Bin Fahd University
P.O. Box 1664
Al-Khobar 31952, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia